What Is Faith?
What is faith? It is trust, assurance and confidence in God. Living faith is shown by service and obedience to God. How can we increase our faith?
What Does the Bible Say about Faith?
The Bible says that faith is confidence in what we hope for and the assurance that the Lord is working, even though we cannot see it. Faith knows that no matter what the situation, in our lives or someone else’s, that the Lord is working in it.
The Hebrew word for faith is emunah which means “support.” This is perfect because faith is like “the Lord’s support” to us because he is working in every situation for his glory. Regardless of what we think, He always knows best, and there are many times we have to see by faith and not our own eyes.
5 Bible Verses About Faith:
- “And Abraham believed in the Lord, and the Lord counted him righteous because of his faith.” -Genesis 15:6, NLT
- “Faith shows the reality of what we hope for; it is the evidence of things we cannot see. Through their faith, the people in days of old earned a good reputation. By faith, we understand that the whole universe was formed at God’s command, that what we now see did not come from anything that can be seen.” -Hebrews 11:1-3, NLT
- “When the people of Israel saw the mighty power that the Lord had unleashed against the Egyptians, they were filled with awe before him. They put their faith in the Lord and his servant Moses.”-Exodus 14:31, NLT
- “Be sure to fear the Lord and faithfully serve him. Think of all the wonderful things he has done for you.” -1 Samuel 12:24
- “He will protect his faithful ones, but the wicked will disappear into darkness. No one will succeed by faith alone.” -1 Samuel 2:9
Where Does Faith Come From?
“For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God—not by works, so that no one can boast.” -Ephesians 2:8-9
Faith can only come from a new heart, regenerated by God; therefore, faith is a gift from God. It is the unique way that God uses to bring salvation to his people. We strengthen our faith by reading the Bible and hearing the gospel. The more we immerse ourselves in truth, the more our confidence grows. Everyone who is saved has been gifted faith. It is the ability to believe God is who He says He is, trusting Him in all things for all things. Faith also helps to combat unbelief and motivates us to do what God desires us to do. Not only do we grow our faith by reading Scripture and praying in our own time, but also by hearing the message in church with other believers.
Justification by faith means that God has removed the penalty of our sins and has declared us to be righteous. By God’s work, we have peace with our Lord Jesus Christ.
“Therefore, since we have been made right in God’s sight by faith, we have peace with God because of what Jesus Christ our Lord has done for us.” Romans 5:1 (NLT)
What’s the Difference Between Faith and Belief?
Faith and belief are often used in the same context, sometimes interchangeably, but they are not quite the same thing. Belief is a strongly held opinion about an idea or worldview. Beliefs are also opinions that you form about what you read, hear, or see. Beliefs can change over time, as you grow and learn new things. Faith is not something you start and build from; faith can only be received, it must be given by God. True faith can take on doubts and questions, but it remains intact. We can grow in our faith, but the foundation is always the same. James 2:19 says,
“You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that—and shudder.”
You can believe there is a God, even that there is one God, but do you believe He is your God? God produces faith in us by giving us new hearts and opening our eyes to see that He is our God and we need Him. Does your faith in God change the way you live your life? There are some who say they believe in God, but the way they live their life does not change; they are motivated by other factors. Faith changes how we live our lives, faith motivates us to keep moving in life.
Having faith in the Bible means trusting that God’s Word is the truth. The faith that God began in us will grow when exposed to God’s Word. It’s knowing that every time you read the Bible, the word of God is being imparted in you.The Bible says that faith is not silly or irrational. It is not a feeling of closeness to God either. Instead, faith is being able to trust God for what He has promised in His Word.