The Prayer for Peace 2021
At the dawn of a new year, I extend cordial greetings to Heads of State and Government, leaders of International Organizations, spiritual leaders and followers of the different religions, and to men and women of good will. To all I offer my best wishes that the coming year will enable humanity to advance on the path of fraternity, justice and peace between individuals, communities, peoples and nations.
The year 2020 was marked by the massive Covid-19 health crisis, which became a global phenomenon cutting across boundaries, aggravating deeply interrelated crises like those of the climate, food, the economy and migration, and causing great suffering and hardship. I think especially of all those who lost family members or loved ones, and all who lost their jobs. I think too of physicians and nurses, pharmacists, researchers, volunteers, chaplains and the personnel of hospitals and healthcare centres. They have made, and are continuing to make, great sacrifices to be present to the sick, to alleviate their sufferings and to save their lives; indeed, many of them have died in the process. In paying tribute to them, I renew my appeal to political leaders and the private sector to spare no effort to ensure access to Covid-19 vaccines and to the essential technologies needed to care for the sick, the poor and those who are most vulnerable.
At a time like this, when the barque of humanity, tossed by the storm of the current crisis, struggles to advance towards a calmer and more serene horizon, the “rudder” of human dignity and the “compass” of fundamental social principles can enable us together to steer a sure course. May we work together to advance towards a new horizon of love and peace, of fraternity and solidarity, of mutual support and acceptance. May we never yield to the temptation to disregard others, especially those in greatest need, and to look the other way;instead, may we strive daily, in concrete and practical ways, “to form a community composed of brothers and sisters who accept and care for one another”.
O God of the expanse, whose love stretches beyond even the farthest distance we can imagine: Amid a season of darkness, we can catch now—out of the corner of our eye—the light of your hope on the horizon. Grant us, we pray, the courage and humility to serve as mirrors of that light: diverting and reflecting it into the darkest corners of our humanity. May our light shine a path of compassion for our brothers and sisters in need, that we might serve them concretely and practically.
O God, may the light of your hope on the horizon lead us to your peace, and may we never yield to the temptation of the darkness of disregard.
Through Christ, our Lord, we pray: Amen.
Prayer for 2021 to the Father
Father, bless our leaders and government officials. Show Yourself to them in rich and powerful ways so that they may know You and lead us in accordance with Your will. May Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Father, open my eyes to see where You can use me to share the good news of Jesus. Give me wisdom, courage and gentleness to declare and demonstrate Your love to others. Today I choose to believe that Your Holy Spirit will enable me to share the story of God and Your story in my life with others. Use me for Your glory! Father, fill me with strength to follow Your footsteps through the darkness and into the light. I declare today that my heart will not fear, and even in the face of it, I will rise up in confidence. Shine Your light on the dark places of our world and equip us to overcome the enemy. Regularly remind me that in Christ I pray from a place of victory because Jesus has overcome the world! Father, teach me to see what is hidden in plain sight. Fill me with faith and clear my vision so I can see my life and others through Your eyes. Help me to be aware of Your presence as I go into my day, my workplace, the world and remind me that I have been appointment for this time and place by You to bring light in the darkness and introduce people to You through the way I live my life. Amen
20 Inspirational Bible Verses of Peace
- “You will keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on You, because he trusts in You.” – Isaiah 26:3
- “Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.” – John 14:27
- “But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure; then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere.” – James 3:17
- “These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.” – John 16:33
- “Now may the Lord of peace himself give you peace at all times and in every way. The Lord be with all of you.” – 2 Thessalonians 3:16
- “Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.” – Philippians 4:6-7
- “How beautiful on the mountains are the feet of those who bring good news, who proclaim peace, who bring good tidings, who proclaim salvation, who say to Zion, “Your God reigns!” – Isaiah 52:7
- “He says, “Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.” – Psalm 46:10
- “The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make his face shine on you and be gracious to you; the Lord turn his face toward you and give you peace.” – Numbers 6:24-26
- “Make every effort to live in peace with everyone and to be holy; without holiness no one will see the Lord.” – Hebrews 12:14
- “For whoever would love life and see good days must keep their tongue from evil and their lips from deceitful speech. They must turn from evil and do good; they must seek peace and pursue it.” – 1 Peter 3:10-11
- “Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ.” – Romans 5:1
- “In peace I will lie down and sleep, for you alone, Lord, make me dwell in safety.” – Psalm 4:8
- “Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” – Matthew 11:28-30
- “Peacemakers who sow in peace reap a harvest of righteousness.” – James 3:18
- “Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful.” – Colossians 3:15
- “Finally, brothers, rejoice. Aim for restoration, comfort one another, agree with one another, live in peace; and the God of love and peace will be with you.” – 2 Corinthians 13:11
- “Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace.” – Ephesians 4:3
- “For to us a child is born, to us a son is given; and the government shall be upon his shoulder, and his name shall be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.” – Isaiah 9:6
- “For to set the mind on the flesh is death, but to set the mind on the Spirit is life and peace.” – Romans 8:6